6.14.2008

Why is it called tag? Do I win anything?!?!?!

So everyone does this tag thing, i guess that means I'm it? When do i get to go back to home base? I figured what a better way to re-kick--start my blog with an about me type of thing. I mean I've only been doing this internet thing since gopher was not useful! So forgive the 3 year old unfilled blog! ;)

1.) What was I doing 10 years ago?
Hmmm... So that means it was 1998...
-I was working my 3rd real IT job, not just Computer City "sales associate" (read nerd/genius bar guy at the computer store, not out for your extended warranty money, nor treating customers like "Comic Book Guy", and this was before there was an apple store.) I played with computers all day, well night actually, and i got paid to "play" on other people's computers for a living? Sweet! To top it off i was still living in my parents basement, no rent, high-speed satellite internet (400kbps/56kbps) Pretty much all expendable income... yeah, that level of "responsibility" *never* ever hurt me... yeah right...

-Lori, my childhood chum/friend/i had no idea she had a crush on me, and i realized only AFTER she left for college i liked her/buddy, moved back into town in an apartment close by. SHe began teaching at THAT church with the school they had. They were the definition of the word Legalism, which I didn't really know what it was since i grew up in it, but because of an AMAZING Pastor (www.davidrstokes.com) he brought the place we went to church in to a great place to be at church!

2.) 5 things on my to do list
Ugh, did you HAVE to remind me about those?
-Get my Eclipse transmission completely fixed so we can drive it during SUMMER, not in the winter!
-Get all my old media types off of dying formats onto ANYTHING newer, this includes the following:
--Every episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on VHS tape.
--Old musical compositions, my old "bands" recording sessions off of cassette tape and turned into MP3s.
-Convert my 2000+ CD Albums converted into MP3s.
-Ensure all data (Digital Pictures, Financial Records, etc) contained on my main PC backed up regularly, put in the fireproof safe, and send an archival copy somewhere offsite in case the PC crashes, AND the house burns down! =/ Hey, i'm a backup engineer at work, i go through several Petabytes in a year, I'm paid to worry about that stuff! ;) See i STILL get to play with computers!
-Get out of debt - Man this is a pain living where we are! Maybe i can ride a bicycle to work now?
Despite the long list of To-DOs, i managed to recently complete the following tasks which i'm rather proud of:
-COMPLETE : Get what i can off of upwards of 500 3.5" floppy diskettes, a few dozen 100MB Zip Disks and 230MB Magneto Optical Disks
-FAILED : During my data archiving tasks, i wasn't able to get ANY data off of several 1.5GB Syquest SyJet disks, that's probably 10GB of STUFF LOST, because they went bad... and I'm not the ONLY person this kind of fail has happened to either.

3.) Snacks I enjoy
-CANDY: Non-Pareils, Nerds, Smartees, etc. Despite my numerous cavities and using hot coffee to wash out the pain from all the cavities, i just can't get enough (Oops, add "go to the dentist" the the to-do list)
-Ramen Noodles at 11PM or later, or anytime, but best at night before you go to bed so you feel awful tomorrow.
-Soft Pretzels... Man, i don't care if it costs $15 each for the jumbo 3 foot high salted masterpiece at the fair honey... I NEEED a soft pretzel, AND you might as well get 3, cause i know you and the kids want one too, and you can't have MINE!!! and yes after seeing it done, i do dip it in mustard most of the time, must be the German in me. Oh yeah, if you ever get to a "Quaker Steak" restaurant, if you can call it that, it's more like a hooters without all the female objectification... but they have an entree that is a plate of several freshly baked soft pretzels slathered in butter, with pretzel salt, and a side of beer-infused nacho cheese. Growing up a Baptist, i'll just ask for a side of mustard, Thx!

4.) Things I would do as a billionaire
I have this crazy idea, and i wish i knew how it would work out, i'd love to make it a non-profit organization. But I'd love to have a service, something along the lines of a mobile Samaritan, maybe call it : The Samaritan Mobile. But i'd spend my day day driving around the area, helping people with cars broken down on the side of the road, or IN the road, or helping folks get to a gas station because they ran outta gas, etc. I mean if you think abut it, those folks probably didn't really need that hindering their day, and they would have gotten whatever it was fixed or filled up, if they had the money.

5.)Three of my Bad Habits
-Biting my cuticles, not my nails, it's around my nails, it bothers even me!
-Tardiness - It's still a REAL effort for me to not be late to this day. I was late to elementary school through high school and college. Now that I'm a parent I'm working hard on ensuring my kids don't pick up any of my bad habits. When I sign the tardy slip at school, it's not Andrew that feels the guilt about being late, I mean how is it "his" fault when I'm the one driving?!;)
-Oops, almost forgot... Not finishing a project. We have a name for it in our house, it's called 99%-ing. You may have experienced it, it's where you've just finished painting a room, and you've put away all the paint supplies, cleaned the brushes, changed back into your good clothes, start going, what an awesome job...awwww what-the?! You look down and you realize you forgot to paint the baseboards, or something else lame like that. It's unfortunately a way of life for me. ;) Maybe it's early Alzheimers?!

6. Five places I have lived
-Arlington
-Fairfax Station
-Oakton
-Herndon..which turned into the next "place"
-Oak Hill
-Fairfax
Guess what, it's all in VA! But that's IT.

7. 5 jobs I've had
Electrician - with my dad
Sales Associate - at a computer store, as eluded to before
Helpdesk
Network Engineer/Backup Engineer
IT, IT, IT, IT, IT

8. How I named this blog
It may have clued you in before, but i was a HUGE fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000 growing up, going through Junior Highschool, through High School, and College, and my grown up years. There were a couple of episodes of MST that showed some Sandy Frank movies called "Starforce." It was this crazy live action anime/Godzilla/Space show from Japan. A cross between speed racer, star wars, and cheese. The episode in particular titled "Starforce II: Fugitive Alien" just kinda stuck with me as a cool name. Every computer guy needs a cool handle, i've come up with a few in my time, if i do say so myself! ;)

9.) Who You Gonna Tag?
I tag... Noone, i give up, it's time to go inside, i think i hear my mom calling... but when i grew up she only yelled since we didn't have cellphones, or text messaging, or twitter, or the internet for that matter... what did i do? Oh yeah, there was NES! and a top loading betamax back at home with thriller and Super Man 3 copied from Erols video store in it... ;) Member # 393!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Hey love, you sure gave a detailed list! I'm glad you are blogging too.